about our company
We bend over backwards for our clients and vendor partners...
We look forward to working with you!
Mast Trees Sanibel Island, Florida
If your landscape design on Sanibel Island, Florida calls for tall, columnar, evergreen trees, wholesale Mast Trees from Palmco may be the perfect solution!
Palmco serves all of Florida and the contiguous U.S., providing a large selection of FF-grade palms, top-quality bamboos, and ornamental plants with different heights, shapes, textures and even colors. We pride ourselves on our environmentally conscious growing process and our reputation for exceptional customer service.
Our 600-acre nursery and plantation are located in Bokeelia on Pine Island, Florida, an 18-mile long and two-mile wide barrier island surrounded by protective turquoise waters and moderate temperatures.
The long growing season here enables us to grow an almost unparalleled number of high-quality cultivated plants.
Characteristics of Mast Trees
The beautiful Mast Tree, or Polyalthia longifolia “Pendula,” native to Sri Lanka and India, is an evergreen tree that is covered with graceful, shiny pendulous leaves from top to bottom. The tree grows in a symmetrical column and is well-suited to USDA Zones 10a to 11 and the warmest areas of Zone 9b.
Mast Trees flourish in the subtropical, humid climate of Sanibel Island, and will attract attention in any landscape. Here are a few reasons to love them:
- The Mast Tree is an exceptional subtropical substitute for the Italian Cypress which is susceptible to root rot, fungus, spider mites, and cypress canker disease in South Florida, causing the trees to develop brown patches and die back.
- The Mast Tree creates a spectacular color contrast as its feathery, wavy-edged leaves mature from a light lime green to a coppery brown and finally to a shiny dark green. Fragrant star-like pale green flowers in the spring are known for attracting birds, bees and butterflies.
- Mast trees have a moderate growth rate and do very well in confined areas, reaching widths of 4 to 5 feet and heights from 30 to 45 feet. They can be left in their natural form or trimmed to maintain a specific size or shape.
- The slender, columnar shape of the Mast Tree makes it ideal for screening. Plant a group of them to line an avenue or driveway, as tall living hedges, as architectural accents, and as privacy, noise and wind screens.
- Mast Trees are low-maintenance, have very little leaf drop, no notable pest threats, are drought-tolerant, moderately salt-tolerant, prefer well-drained rich clay, loam or sandy soils, and will thrive in full sun and tolerate partial shade.
When you’re looking for narrow, columnar evergreen trees to take the place of Italian Cypress in your landscape design, contact Palmco for wholesale Mast Trees that will grow beautifully in Sanibel Island, Florida and throughout Lee County. Get in touch with us at (239) 283-1329.